Translate

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Guppy by Ai - Celebrating Hanami with the spring summer Menu-2015


I have always loved Guppy - the new Avataar of Ai. I keep fishing for opportunities to eat out at my favourite Japanese restaurant whenever I get a chance. Guppy takes Japanese cuisine to another level and Chef Vikram Khatri redefines the definition of Japanese cuisine for our palates. I have always loved and appreciated what he has brought to the Japanese food playground in the capital city. 

Guppy's colourful and pleasant ambiance, clubbed with some lip smacking food is the recipe for a perfect evening you would want to spend with friends and family. What I love about the place is that you cannot put your finger on anything and say it wasn't good, because you will be happy with everything - From head to toe and from tip to tail. 

There are so many dishes on the regular menu that I can close my eyes and call Comfort food. Whether it is their soft, juicy and crispy Signature Pork belly glazed with Soy and Honey served on Yakitori skewers or whether it is the Soft shelled crab or even the soup for my soul - Chashu Ramen, the place never fails to blow me away with one unique meal experience after another. And what adds to the experience is the efficient and helpful staff.

I have said this before and I want to reiterate the fact that I am a big big fan of Chef Khatri's Sushi. Hands down, the best in town. That almost sounded like a poem, didn't it? And I love the fact that vegetarians are in for a treat too. The menu has amazing vegetarian options unlike what most Japanese restaurants in the city have to offer. 

I was at Guppy last week where they are celebrating the onset of Hanami season which is marked by celebrating the blooming of beautiful Sakura or Chery Blossom Flowers all over Japan, marking the end of winter and beginning of the beautiful spring season. So obviously Chef Khatri's Spring summer menu celebrates spring with a large number of classical Japanese dishes inspired by the Cherry Blossom viewing during the festival of Hanami. Chef Vikram has ensured he uses fresh ingredients in all dishes in the spring summer menu cherry blossom or Sakura Flowers, Water Chestnut, and even Tokasa Sea weed. 

One is enchanted when one takes the first sip of the sakura wood smoked Pumpkin soup or the beautifully presented Salmon Tartar and other delicious offerings. I was at Guppy last week to savour this delicious spring summer menu and my other usual favourites at Guppy and Chef Khatri, swept me off my feet as expected. I can sum up my meal experience in two words - "Brilliantly satisfying"!

The dishes I absolutely adored in the menu are:  

  • Sakura Wood Smoked Pumpkin Soup - Deliciously satisfying - Served with crispy pumpkin seed and sanso dust. I could never imagine a soup to bring my soul so much comfort. Loved it. My rating 4.5/5
  • Summer Hoedown- Loved my Cocktail with Vodka and scooped Watermelon, it tasted fabulous. My rating - 4/5
  • Seaweed and Mesclun Salad - This Salad with Young mustard, seaweed and fresh baby greens is served with house made plum vinaigrette. Divine. Very summery and the plum Vinaigrette is a fab twist as a dressing. My rating 4/5
  • Tofu and Water Chestnut Motoyaki - Japanese silken tofu and water chestnut is baked with umami rich sauce making the Tofu the star of the dish. The mild flavour of the Umami sauce makes this dish very summery. My rating 4/5
  • Assorted Vegetable Tempura - Crisp Batter fried seasonal vegetables are served with warm ginger dashi and green tea salt, yet another highlight of Chef Khatri's menu. My rating 4/5
  • Salmon Tartare - A beautifully presented exotic Sashimi Salmon, is nicely diced and marinated with fresh avocado, and served on cucumber slivers with house made tobiko and bonito mayo. The dish is like Monalisa - Picture Perfect. My rating 4.5/5
  • Cold Smoked Kampachi Sashimi - Cured yellowtail is smoked in house with sakura wood and is served with yuzu khosho and soy ponzu. You will love this dish. My rating 4/5
  • Aburi Salmon Nigri - I made a video of how this is presented. Loved the Blow torch thing the server does before serving this. Soft and mushy, this is one helluva dish. My rating 5/5
  • Eel Yanagawa Fu - Braised Japanese eel with egg is served on a bed of burdock root and seasonal grilled vegetables. My first time tasting eel and man, I am impressed by its subtlety in flavour and I must add it goes well with egg. My rating 4.5/5
  • Parchment Baked Market Fish - The catch of the day is wrapped in paper and served with a house made Yuzu sake glaze and lemon wedges on top. A Wow dish! My rating 4.5/5
  • Hiyashi Chukka - Chilled ramen noodle topped with prawn, crab stick, fresh cucumber and wakame seaweed, is served with sesame flavoured vinegar soy broth, a mildly flavoured impressive dish. My rating 4/5
  • Macha Pudding  - Green tea pudding served with house made toffee sauce. Well, exceeds expectations. My rating 4/5. 
Also had my usual favourites the Sushi and the honey glazed pork belly which were absolute Rock stars. Guys, head out to Guppy for a world class Japanese meal experience and enjoy Chef Khatri's exquisite creations.


© Follow Sam on Instagram - Search for sgkatoch
© http://whatsamsaysabout.blogspot.in/
































No comments:

Post a Comment