Translate

Monday 1 September 2014

Sam was totally floored by Fudged - 4/5



Chocolate is so sensual, so sinful and fudged only makes this better. Chocolate couldn’t get any better and fudged will sweep you off your feet with anything you eat here. Located at the food court at the Epicuria in Nehru place, this small café is all set to make a mark for itself. Its funny that most of us don’t even know the difference between chocolate & fudge. While both of these delicious sweet treats are mouth watering and tend to satisfy any sweet tooth you can see that there is a significant difference between chocolate and fudge. 
As per Wikipedia “Fudge is a type of western confectionary, which is usually soft, sweet, and rich. It is made by mixing sugar, butter and milk heating it to the soft ball stage at 240 degrees Fahrenheit (116 degree celcius), and then beating the mixture while it cools so that it acquires a smooth, creamy consistency.” we all know what chocolate is but how exactly does it compare to fudge? There is the obvious difference of texture, fudge has a soft and almost spongy texture while chocolate is, with the exception of chocolate ganache, harder, that can be shaped into bars but the difference goes way beyond just texture.
To begin with there is the fact that while all chocolate is...well, plain and simple chocolate; all fudge is definitely not chocolate. Fudge can be made in a wide variety of flavors and while some of these flavors do incorporate chocolate and most of them do not. There is also the difference in the actual preparation method of the two varieties of confections – Chocolate and Fudge.
Fudge is prepared by mixing sugar, milk, butter, and other ingredients (such as cocoa in chocolate fudge) and heating to a point until they melt and mesh together. After they have melted together the mixture is then beaten so as the mix cools down in the process. Chocolate, on the other hand is created using elements of the cacoa bean and Fudge is more of a confection which can be created using cocoa or other chocolate elements .
Fudge is an American invention: Some food historians claim the origin as old as the date to February 14, 1886, but the exact origin and inventor are still disputed. Most stories claim that the first batch of fudge resulted was accidentally created with a bungled (“fudged”) batch of caramels, when the sugar was allowed to recrystallize; hence the name came from the slang, “Oh fudge!”
Oh lord, I can simply go on and on and talk a bunch load of cork and bull story, forgetting where I actually started. I was in Epicuria after a divine lunch at Pita Pit and I discovered the place by chance. I was all set to raid Gelato Roma, only when I accidentally saw Fudged. I was instantly drawn to it and I was amazed to see even egg less fudges, so I ordered myself a treat. A cute small bakery with a couple of tables as seating space, and a warm server make your fudgy experience even more sweeter. And I can cross my heart, close my eyes and blindly say, that by far they make the best fudge in town. This is what Sam had –
Ø  God Father – Eggless Chocolate Fudge – Brilliant, sticky, perfect consistency. Such a divine and heavenly experience to have this, and I was simply fudged. Need I say more.
Ø  Pick me Up – White Chocolate chip cup cake- What a beautiful sight it was, this pretty looking cup cake in my plate. And it was even more heavenly to taste the cake. What a fuzzy drooly feeling one gets when one eats something that divine. What an elevated feeling I must say. A must have at Fundged.
Ø  Eggless Fudge sandwich – Oh my my! I was not too sure of trying this, but what a brilliant creation it was. Loved the short crust around the chocolate fudge. Brilliant in taste. Just loved it.
Ø  Apple pie – One of the best I have had in Delhi so far. So fresh, so amazing with just the correct proportion of cinnamon in the apple mix. Super.
Friends, Romans, country men, and Delhiites if you are around this part of the city then fudged definitely deserves a visit, and trust Sam, it will be worth the effort.



























No comments:

Post a Comment