Translate

Saturday 4 October 2014

Sodabottleopenerwala - A Must Visit - The only Parsi / Irani Cafe in NCR - 4/5


Well! This review happens to be a mix of my two visits over 2 months of some nice great tasting food at SBOW. I was ecstatic when I heard from the foodie grape wine that a restaurant serving Bombay and irani / Parsi cuisine had opened its doors to public in NCR. I must mention that the Ist couple of times I went I had to return home dissatisfied, coz I ended up not getting a table because people were queing in hundreds to eat the fantastic food served here. 

And the more distant the waiting times and the queues made me from SBOW the more the hunger in me grew for tasting their food. And I really wanted to know what on earth is the deal with this god forsaken place that people are willing to wait for hours to savour what is being served here. And on one saturday, I got lucky, and visited them with my closest girlfriend since I had to treat her for winning the cookery show on life ok Channel - Welcome - 2 Baazi Mehmaan nawaazi ki. So she was insistant that we go to SBOW.

Since we had eaten a late breakfast, we headed to SBOW for a late lunch around 4, and finally luck was on my side and we had plenty of tables to choose from to sit. Well the story of my second visit is that I sneaked out for lunch from work last week with 2 of my close girl friends and thankfully got a table to sit around 3pm (well, I am not surprised, since 3 pm is pretty late). 
I love the ambience, the decor, the deating and the long glass tables with cutting chai glasses in between. I also love the very Irani cafe feel about the place. I also love fact that they have kept the feel of the Irani cafe intact by not using flashy crockery or plates but use plain alluminium serving bowls and plates, keeping nont only the feel intact but also keeping their fixed costs low. Service is quite promt, food is fresh, great, even though a little higher o nthe prices, but foodies like us dont mind paying the price for some great food. Sad that there's no Dhansak on the menu. (hawwwww......)

What I love about the menu is the small cartoons and Parsi funny taglines on it. And also the fact that the menu is simple, not very elaborate and straight forward. 
Here's my combined food review of my 2 visits: - 

SEKANJEBIN - Or what we north Indian lot call Shikanji, but with a great twist. Love the taste of jaggery and fresh mint in it. FANTASTIC is the word for it.

RASPBERRY SODA - My personal favourite. Even though a very girly pink coloured drink. I love it nevertheless. 

IRANI SPECIAL CHAI - well for 60 bucks a cup, a little let down, but if I was paying one forth for it, it was good to go..

MARGHI NA FARCHA - Fantastic parsi fried chicken. Too soft, mushy and served with great green chutney. SUPER HIT!!

BOMBAY RASTA SANDWICH - umm! ok types, but for 175/- bucks not really worth it. .

KEEMA PAV - Its nice, with onion rings on the side, the presentation is fab. But my personal opinion, pricing for this could have been a little on the lower side. Even though it tastes good!.

SALI BOTTI - I know its not on the menu, but they were so sweet to recreate this mutton dish for me. It was nice with potato flakes on top. Simple, no frills attached mutton curry. Bingo! absolutely delightful in taste and flavour. 

VEG AND MUTTON BERRY PULAO - Yes I tasted them both and trust me fantabulous is an understatement. I love the berrries and cashews on top and love the presentation. Its a beautiful sight on a plate and you want to admire it before you can actually eat it. It has a mild subtle flavour, I love the tomatoes in it and in the mutton pulao, the meat was tender and oh it melted in my mouth. Berry Pulao mutton or no mutton, is one of the dishes closest to my heart now. 

LAGAN NU CUSTARD - A pretty beautiful sight of this caramel custard on an alluminium platter. But it failed to tingle my taste buds. I wasnt swept off my feet. 

TOBLERONE MOUSSE - This was a fantastic mousse. One of the best I have ever had. Even though in an Iranian cafe, you would expect the Lagan nu custard to taste better, but surprisingly, the mousse was an ABSOLUTE "ROCKSTAR". loved the look of it in an ice cream cup with dices of toblerone chocolate on top. This was one of the best desserts I have ever had.

Guys, SBOW is a great find in NCR. You dont know what your missing, until you have eaten here. This place is on Sam's "Must eat here" list.


© http://whatsamsaysabout.blogspot.in/
© What Sam says about________ ?
© https://www.facebook.com/whatsamsaysabout
© www.zomato.com/shambavi















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment