Translate

Sunday 1 February 2015

Ahad Sons Restaurant- KASHMIRI FOOD PAR EXCELLENCE - 4/5


Well, as a Kashmiri who has been eating and cooking Kashmiri food for as long as I can remember, Ahad Sons has been my greatest discovery of authentic Kashmiri cuisine in the maddening capital city. I was hunting for some authentic kashmiri restaurants online in the afternoon today, and I found this jewel in Delhi's crown. 

At first I was pretty reluctant to try it, but I threw caution to the winds and set out to Uday park to find this hole in the wall place. It was quite hard to locate the place, and thanks to directions by a local I found the place. When I entered I realized they were a simple take away establishment and all the walls was covered with awards and news paper cuttings of the senior Ahad Waaza (senior Kashmiri chef is given the title of waaza). He had worked across and participated in Kashmiri food festivals of various hotels like ITC, Oberois, Taj and many more over more than 25-30 years and this place in uday park is now run by his sons.


I must add that the menu on Zomato is old, ad the prices have increased, but for awesome and amaazing food like this to find in Delhi, this food is pretty cheap. He has an extensive and authentic Kashmiri food menu, covering almost all items that I can remember from vegetarian to non vegetarian. 
I ordered Ghushtaba and mutton dhanwali korma. It was ready pretty swiftly in 20 minutes and I must add for Rs 550/-, this stuff came real reasonable.


I came home and reaheated the delicacies and when we had them, my husband smiled at me and said I love you sweetheart. This is by far the best Kashmiri food I have had from outside in a real real long time. 


The Ghushtaba for those who dont know what it is is a mutton ball in white gravy (made with yoghurt, fennel powder, and dry ginger powder only) in which the mutton of the mutton balls -is so fine so tender, it is pounded for 7-8 hours with hand not in mixies, and is minced real fine. 


The ghushtaba's I had tonight are the best I have ever had. Meat so juicy, so tender so succulent and gravy so mild so delicate with the right amount of spice. Dhaniwal Korma is mutton korma cooked in a lot of coriander or dhaniya and some turmeric, little milk fellen powder and dry ginder powder. This was my first time having dhaniwal korma since it is more of a Kashmiri Muslim dish and an integral part of the Famous Waazwan. I must say for my first time, I was not only pretty happy and satisfied with it but also fell in love with it. Tabakhmaaz I ordered next time I went and loved it as well.


through this journey, this quest of discovering new tastes , exploring and experimenting with all sorts of Kashmiri food in Delhi, I just realised that (sorry if I am being racist) but it only takes a true Kashmiri to understand Kashmiri food and cook it to perfection. 


They also sell tinned food like Rishta, gushtaba, marchwagan korma, methi maaz and many more items. He also sells this unique Kashmiri dish called Harissa by the way, and you need to call him and give him an hours notice and he will prepare it and you can go pick it up.

Ahad Sons, 2 thumbs up and you deserve a 4 on 5, only because next time I hope you have a dine in too to cater to fans of Kashmiri food like me so that we can dirty our hands and enjoy the haak batta and dumaaloo piping hot served afresh. 



3A, Behind Mother Dairy,Uday Park, New Delhi; Phone nos - 
011 26253642; 011 26256017







1 comment:

  1. Superb information really is so happy all about information of Kashmir tour package. Because many propel like also cool destination, there are many destination available for tourist. The most beautiful journey you can spend there. View of amazing view like green valley of nature and mountain and river also beautiful. I think you should make try visiting there are its very fsmouse food like chawal daal etc. Kashmir packages.

    ReplyDelete