Translate

Saturday 7 February 2015

Desi Roots - Nostalgia, Tradition & Twist of taste - 4/5



After I read the review by the Legendary Food Critic and reviewer Marryam H Reshii, who rated the Food at Desi Roots a 4 which is a very high rating by her standards, I was convinced that this place ought to be on my list of must visit places. I am glad I did it sooner than I usually do and caught the restaurant in its infancy – within a month of its launch. The restaurant is based on one pure and simple theme – Nostalgia. The entire experience at Desi Roots is a trip down the memory lane to one’s childhood – right from the entrance where you see a Chacha Chaudhary on the exterior wall shouting Par Desi - Par desi to the trunk full of Manohar kahaniyan, tinkle and other well known comics of our times. The interiors are absolutely “no Frills attached” with items that scream Childhood and Indian tradition. The café interestingly succeeds in doing something different than the run of the mill café’s in the city. It has all the right ingredients needed for it to carve a niche for itself in Delhi’s food circle.

Located in the Ras Villas mall, District centre in Saket, just near to the Royal Enfield showroom behind Select City walk, opposite B-Bar’s rear entrance, you have the luxury of your chauffeur driving you right until the entrance of the café. Since I was visiting with a friend, we parked at the adjacent overhead parking and went into the café. You can switch your GPS on and you can locate the café very easily. The exteriors of the café has amazing colorful murals which are enough to catch your attention. The café is divided into 3 areas. The entrance has a Iron mesh with cute locks with the names of patrons written on them and it leads into a cool and comfy lounge area having a comfy sofa seating. The lounge area has some interesting items being used to create the furniture like a table being created out of a sewing machine or a table lamp being created out of a scooter head light. The walls in this area have shelves with items on which we thrived during our childhood like crackers, colors from Holi and even Comics. The second area is like a Gully or a passage with wooden tables and bright chairs, having stoned flooring. The third area is a hep up-market Bar area which has a bright bio-scope standing confidently adjacent to the huge bar counter. The bar counter has portraits of beautiful women signifying that Desi Roots promotes Women Empowerment, which is a great thing (and I am not being a feminist here) .
The menu has been interestingly done with some great choices incorporating items right from the northern most tip of India from the Dhaba Cuisine right to the Toddy shop cuisine of Down south. So from a Paneer Tikka or a chicken Tikka one can even find a Daal Baati or a Bass Polichettu. Intriguing, isn't it? The Bar menu deserves a special mention and Sam says the cocktails are the main highlight of the Bar menu showing some great Bar-tending skills. The cocktails are different than the usual cocktails one can find in any fusion restaurant, and are more importantly refreshing and fabulous in taste. All ingredients in the cocktails that I tasted blend so well with each other making each cocktail a unique completely satisfying drink.

The food’s presentation is simply superb, being presented with a great sense of humor. I loved the way the Ambala Cantt ki mutton Curry was presented on a Truck or the way the Paneer Tikka or a Chicken Tikka being served on top of a steaming hot Iron. The great twist in taste are the dips. Loved the eggless hollandaise and the avocado dip which were simply creative to the core. Some dishes proved that food definitely is an art, and the taste of all dishes proved that Desi Roots will definitely become one of the top most rated Indian restaurants in the city. I loved the Lamb Galauti Pate and the Jimikand Pate – Very unique both in taste and presentation. Superb modern interpretation of the traditional Galawati. The twists given to some Desi and some international favorites is mind blowing. For example who would have thought of a Badam Halwa Baklava a great twist to the middle eastern favourite or who would have thought of a Galauti pate? Simple outstandingly creative.

The service yet again like the ambiance, food and food presentation is spotless and outstanding. The confident servers dressed in smart uniforms are alert and attentive at all times for even the most basic requests. I loved the way they wait to see your reaction while bringing you the food served in a quirky manner. They give you the history, civics and geography behind every dish they bring in front of you. I loved how they convey a sense of belonging while explaining each dish in detail to you. I am sure if you follow my blog, you would have seen the video I posted of the Bachpan Platter at Desi Roots. Its really sweet when the chef walks across himself into the restaurant and creates the Bachpan platter in front of you right there on your table while you are busy relating your childhood memories to each ingredient of the platter. 

And what I loved was how in the end, they gave me a key and a lock on which I could freeze my memory forever and plant the lock on a iron fence before the exit, and what's more exciting is that I get to keep the key too? How cute is that?

Now coming down to taste. This is what we girls had.

Ø  Desi Champagne – Loved it, the orange slice, the look, the feel, everything about it was awesome. My rating 4/5

Ø  Desi Roots – A fantastic vodka based cocktail with Lemon grass, lychee, brown sugar and Oolong tea combining to make this a mind blowing drink. Loved the fact that this was served in a Kullad. Tasted unbelievably great. My rating 4.5/5

Ø  Cranberry Rosso – Loved the Martini Rosso based drink with Cranberry juice. My rating 4/5

Ø  Parippu Vada – The great Palate cleanser served in a glass jar on top of freshly made coconut chutney is a great way to begin a memorable meal. My rating 4/5

Ø  Bhatti da Paneer with eggless tomato & Cashew Hollandaise – Loved the presentation on top of a hot Iron with a great eggless hollandaise dip. The Sofy mushy paneer went really well with the tomato Hollandaise. My rating 4/5

Ø  Chipotle Chicken Tikka with Avocado raita – Tender, juicy succulent chicken pieces with a fab Avocado raita was to die for. A must have dish for non vegetarians. My rating 4.5/5

Ø  Lamb Galawati Pate – Superb modern interpretation of the traditional Galawati in the form of a Pate is super, and served with Paratha Triangles and onion rings. Loved the dish. My rating 4.5/5

Ø  Jimikand Pate – A fab vegetarian Gaalawati Pate. My rating 5/5

Ø  Sarson da Saag and Makki di roti with Gud ki dali Moti Moti – Loved what they called it. With a dollop of white butter on top of the paratha the saag was exceptional. My rating 4/5

Ø  Ambala Cantt Mutton Curry with Tikone Parathe and kumquat Achar – Super presentation. Loved this Dhaba interpretation of serving in a enamel mug and enamel plate on a truck. The kumquat achar was tangy yet sweet. Tender juicy mutton in a subtle gravy made this dish a rockstar. My rating 4/5.

Ø  Bass Polichettu with Tapioca Timbale and cranberry onion chutney- A pretty dish with fish wrapped in spices steamed and served in a banana leaf and rocking Tapioca Timbale and cranberry onion chutney. A great dish. My rating 4/5

Ø  Badaam halwa Baklava with Shrikhand. – I am a huge Baklava Fan and Loved the twist to the Baklava with the Badaam halwa. Even though I felt the dish could have done without Srikhand. I am, taking off one point only for the Shrikhand. Even though I understand that the Chef would have wanted to balance the sweetness of the Halwa with the Srikhand, but I loved the Baklava solely in its entirety. My rating 4/5

Ø  Bachan Platter – Loved how the staff wanted me to try the platter, and I was happy they recommended it. I even took a video of how the Chef made the Platter for us right in front of us in a playfulness which was ecstatic. I felt as though I was transported in time to my childhood when I used to enjoy a kismi toffee bar or a lollipop or we played trump cards. It’s the Chef’s creative mind which has created this dish and one must try it only for the nostalgia. My rating 4/5.

Guys, Desi Roots is a great place to enjoy great food in great food in great surroundings. You ought to pay this place a visit, post reading this long, detailed extensive review. I am sure you realized the place has made me a raving fan.
































































































No comments:

Post a Comment