Translate

Sunday 15 February 2015

Schengen Deli-Bistro-Pub, Malcha Marg - Europe on my plate - 4/5


It’s the Valentine Week and Romance is in the air, and what better way to Spend an evening filled with great wine & great food in a bright white scintillating setting with the love of your life enticing you with some seductive lip smacking food. I think my first sentence says it all, Schengen is one place which Sam says should be on your list of absolute- Must visit places in the city. And truly, I mean it, this is one place you must not miss visiting. Schengen is one place you will love the instant you cross the threshold and enter.

The Schengen Area comprises of 26 European countries and if you are in the mood for something European thankfully you don’t have to take the trouble to fly that far, and you can enjoy the flavours of Europe right here in the Capital City. Located in the Malcha Marg market this beautiful restaurant is spread across three floors. The Ground floor has an eye catching display of colorful artistic pastries and cakes and breads. There is a beautiful staircase that leads you to the Ist floor with walls around the staircase covered with beautiful European artifacts. The first floor has seating inside and outside on the terrace. I am sure you will love to sit and have your brunches in the sun on the terrace on the Ist and the second floor.  

Loved the hanging lights from the ceiling which spread down from the Ist floor to the ground floor. Full marks on the ambiance which is warm and unpretentious in every aspect. I love the fact that they haven’t tried real hard to make the interiors bright and colourful and have kept it basic and no frills attached. Full marks Mr. Bhanu Nehra, I hear you have done the major part of the interiors yourself. The exterior look of the place is of a Tuscan Villa where the terrace has lamp posts and outside seating. The black signage at the entrance complements the white walls really well. The walls in the restaurant have shelves with beautiful articles and bone china plates hung on the walls. You are transported in time to Europe and you feel you are sitting in the courtyard of a beautiful villa in Spain or in France and sipping wine and eating Pasta. The feeling is extraordinarily invigorating which freshens your mind and pleases not only your senses but ones entire being.

The menu has been done up well by Chef Piyush who has handpicked some great favorites across Europe too without dominating the menu with the cuisine of any particular region. The cuisine is contemporary and modern European and even contains the chef’s own creations. The menu has a great selection of dishes including the stroganoff’s, the ratatouille, some great pasta’s and Pizza’a and loads of great creations in meats. Coming to the Food, I loved the fact that they freshly procure and even grow some herbs inhouse that they use in creating the magic recipes. The chef told us he uses some traditional European and some modern molecular gastronomical techniques too in his creations. But what is most important is that the end product – The food which I must say is fabulously seductive not only in taste but also in presentation. The meats, the steaks, the lamb and even the duck is done so beautifully that one can’t help but just drool while enjoying the heavenly food in a much heavenly setting.

The service is spotless. The bartenders come over and help you order a drink to your liking. The serving staff help you order incase you are naïve to European menu. Even the Chef himself would walk up to the tables and chat with the customers and ask them how they liked their food. One thing that I appreciate most in any restaurant even more than the food is how personalized they make your entire experience. And Schengen is that place which makes your meal a very memorable personalized experience.

Now coming down to food this is what we ordered.

Ø  Raz Mataz--- What a super cocktail loved it, its something new and something nice and so its something you must not miss at Schengen. My rating 4/5

Ø  Pomegranate Martini-----An absolute ladies drink, and tops my list of favourite cocktails in the city. My rating 4.5/5

Ø  Rocket Apple & Walnut Salad----Loved the taste of the fresh Rocket leaves in a Balsamic dressing with sliced apples and walnuts and garnished with shavings of aged Parmesan. Such a delicately flavored salad. My rating 4/5

Ø   Warm Tomato & Mozarella stacks - Such a perfect picture on a plate. Loved the presentation and the veg caviar on top and an edible flower made this dish stunning, and a drizzle of olive oil on top was super divine. My rating 4.5/5

Ø  Saffron and Sumac crusted Chicken skewers with lemon-grass hummus - Delicately flavored juicy, succulent Chicken with a great hummus. My rating 4/5.

Ø  Spanokopita - Green inspired pie with a phyllo covering containing spinach and feta was something to die for. An absolute must have. My rating 5/5.

Ø  Lamb Keftedes served with Dill Tzatziki and red cabbage salad – Greek inspired lamb dish with a great Tzatziki. My rating 4/5

Ø  Pizza no - 1 & no 6 - An absolute delight for pizza lovers with a great great freshly made base stole my heart. Loved the fact that no 1 was a cheese less pizza and still it was fab. And loved no 6 because of the obvious presence of pepperoni. My ratings 4.5/5

Ø  Cottage cheese steak with sweetened bourbon sauce - A rockstar steak with soft and mushy cottage cheese enough to melt you. My rating 4/5

Ø  Wild mushroom Risotto - Could be better. But loved the mile subtle flavour. My rating 3/5

Ø  Mushroom Goulash - Oh seductively divine. A vegetarian must have. My rating 4/5

Ø  Ratatouille & garlic Spaghetti - One of the best Ratatouille I have had in Delhi so far and the spaghetti with is the best carb that complements the ratatouille. My rating 4/5

Ø  Veg Stroganoff - Was nice too. Its interesting that the veg European menu has some stunning dishes too. My rating 4/5

Ø  Honey glazed pork chops - Undoubtedly the dish of the day for me. Period!! beautifully cooked to perfection honey glazed pork was divine. I had had pork chops in a restaurant in Delhi 2 months ago and the pork chops at Schengen made those look so petty. Chef Piyush this dish makes me want to hug you. My rating 5/5

Ø  Pan seared duck breast with roast potato - Oh I cannot describe in words how beautifully this duck was cooked with a nice jus and a sauce that truly complemented this masterpiece of a dish. My rating 4.5/5

Ø  Tenderloin Steak with green pepper sauce - Ah! my darling steak, you have really lifted the bar way too high for your breed in Delhi. Juicy, medium rare and perfect just as I like it. My rating 4/5

Ø  Tiramisu - Seduction personified. My rating 4.5/5

Ø  Red Velvet - One of the best and definitely better than the famous place in haus Khaz village. My rating 4/5

Ø  Double Chocolate mousse - Mousse cannot get better than this. Hands down a clear winner. My rating 4/5.

© Follow Sam on Instagram - Search for sgkatoch


























































No comments:

Post a Comment