Translate

Monday 19 October 2015

Jamie Oliver's Pizzeria India Not as good as the one in Queen's Land - 2.5/5



India is the Ist country where Celebrity Chef Jamie Oliver has ventured opening his independent Pizzeria’s. He is launching both brands Jamie’s Italian and Jamie’s Pizzeria in India. The flagship outlet of Jamie’s Pizzeria has opened in Gurgaon in Ambiance Mall and another one will be up soon at Vasant Kunj. Jamie's Pizzeria, at Level 3 is catering to us with a number of products like pizzas, salads, sides and even desserts. The outlet at ambiance is decent with about 11,00 sq ft space and a cover size of 50 plus just adjacent to Jhonny Rockets. I hear besides dine in they will also be looking at delivery and take away. I was super excited when I saw hoardings across Gurgaon that said Jamie’s Pizzeria coming soon to Ambiance Mall. But little did I know that my excitement would fizzle out when I taste the food here in India.

I was in London in May of 2015 and the first place I went to eat out was at Union Jack’s by Jamie Oliver at Covent Garden and I absolutely adored whatever I had. Everything was good both in terms of taste and quality. I was at Ambiance mall last Sunday and having heard the Radio jingle on FM which kept repeating that their Pizza’s are to die for, I decided to make Jamie’s Pizzeria my destination for Sunday Brunch. When I entered I liked the lively interiors and their open kitchen. We were seated near the window, but I still felt they could take out a table or two to make the restaurant look less cramped up.

We glanced through the table mat Menu’s and I liked the fact that the menu has been kept crisp and simple. My meal started on a negative note. I saw the cutlery on my table had water marks and gave the impression that it was dirty and not wiped clean properly. Then I wanted to try the watermelon and feta salad and I was informed by the service staff that the same wasn’t available. They recommended I try the tomato mozzarella – Caprese salad. I also ordered a portion of Stretched Garlic bread, Fresh lime and a Funghi Wooden Pizza. The food does give the impression that the ingredients are fresh and some what to a large extent does deliver on taste as well.

The pricing of the dishes seemed pretty attractive but my fear was that the quantity may be lesser and that is exactly what happened. My fear came to life as soon as the Ist dish arrived on the table. The caprese Salad priced at around 150 bucks was just a tomato salad garnished with 2 scoops of mozzarella made into 4 halves. Well I know the ingredients cherry tomatoes are expensive, but the quantity could be upped. Taste wise it was good, presentation wise was good as well but the quantity was disappointing.

Then came the stretched Garlic bread. The quantity seemed fine but it tasted more like a Naan which had very few pieces of Garlic on it. The herby marinated Olives arrived. Again the quantity could be upped and the turn off was that even though the black olives were pitted the green olives used in the portion weren’t pitted. Finally the Pizza arrived. I could count 12 slices of Mushrooms on a large Pizza. Even though the base was fresh, It was wafer crisp, unlike the kind of Pizza base I am used to having. Right in the middle of the Pizza the base was burnt underneath, like Black Burnt. I wouldn’t serve such a Pizza to a paying customer if I was the Chef. The pizza was supposed to have 2 types of cheese as toppings, however it seems they are on a MAKE PIZZA HEALTHY mission or may be we are more used to having Pizza’s the American way loaded with cheese and toppings. I could hardly see or taste any cheese on the Pizza and it was certainly not to die for.


Well , I am not sure if I will go back and give them another try,  after this mediocre experience even though the meal for two costed just around 1250/- 


© Follow Sam on Instagram - Search for sgkatoch
© Follow Sam on Twitter - Search for @GanjuShambavi
© 
Follow Sam on Zomato - www.zomato.com/shambavi
© What Sam says about________ ?






























No comments:

Post a Comment