Translate

Friday 9 December 2016

Matamaal - Kashmiri Pandit Cuisine Par excellence- Gurgaon


When you miss home and want to come have some traditional kashmiri this is the place you want to eat to feel the love of your mom in the food prepared with love. This is the place where you come home to food that reminds you of your Naani's food during childhood days. And yes I did recollect my mataamal (Naani's Home) with this food especially her cooking and the Dum Aaloos almost tasted the way my Nani made them😀.

Went with my family to Matamaal last weekend. My mom and dad the hard kashmiri Pandit cuisine experts and well even myself (I do think i might kind of be an expert in my home cuisine) obviously had high expectations as subject matter experts for the food from the valley of Kashmir. And I am glad the place did not fail in delivering at all, and exceeded  our expectations.

Located at the Dlf City court Mall, the place has a very convenient parking and a decent amount of covers. Since it was Saturday night I had already reserved a table for 6 and we landed to savor some cuisine from our homeland. The ambiance is traditional Kashmiri right from the wooden textured ceilings to the shikara in one corner and even to the table mats. I could almost swear I felt I was eating food at my ancestral home in Kashmir

Looking at the menu both me and my sister felt like Alice in Wonderland and we wanted to order every single dish on the menu. The owner arrived helping us with the order and her hospitality is definitely a plus every guest would feel while dining here. Her warmness makes you overlook the slightly rough around the edges serving staff  at the restaurant. But I might not blame them fully it was Saturday and the restaurant was operating almost at full capacity.

The food started arriving starting with yummy Nadir Monja (lotus stem fritters) which were fab and reminded me how as a Kid I used to go to Rishi peer temple during the Mela in Kashmir with my grand pa and relish these fritters there. As a kashmiri I can confidently say this is true soul satisfying kashmiri food.

The mains have decent portions too and every single dish tasted flawless and truly authentic as though prepared by an experienced Vaaza (Professional kashmiri cook). The owners passion reflects in every single dish presented on your table and the best part is that in an era of competition she has maintained the authenticity in each dish using each ingredient as its supposed to be and not tried cutting corners anywhere and one can appreciate that Kashmiri ingredients can be hard to procure in Delhi.

My Kashmiri cuisine experts Mom & Dad not only relished the food as much as I did but also wished they could eat more. Every dish got better and better the more we ate. Strongly recommend you try Ledir Chaman, red Paneer, Dum AALOO , Nadir yakhni and the non veg fare. 

6 of us and a bill of 3200/- was fab for an all veg meal of my favourite Nadir monja (lotus stem pakoda) ; Mooli chutney; kashmiri ledir Chaman (yellow paneer) ; red paneer; Dum Aaloo; Nadir yakhni and kashmiri Saag and phirni. Gut satisfying great authentic kashmiri food. Strongly recommend the place. I am sure if the veg food is so good the non veg is even better. I can vouch for the food here, so you can trust me, close your eyes and relish the best pandit cuisine in town. 


© Follow Sam on Instagram - Search for sgkatoch
© Follow Sam on Twitter - Search for @GanjuShambavi
© 
Follow Sam on Zomato - www.zomato.com/shambavi
© What Sam says about________ ?
© Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/whatsamsaysabout
'



























No comments:

Post a Comment