Translate

Monday 19 January 2015

Diggin -- Sam totally Digs this Cafe - 4.5/5


This place has been on my "to do" list for 2015, and I am glad I visited it in the Ist month itself. As a friend of mine rightly pointed out and I totally agree that Diggin is a café with “Character”.  This place is authentically European. From start to finish, I had an amazing experience!  Walking into this place I had no idea what I was headed into, but that it was a hole in the wall spot. What do you know, I was pleasantly surprised. 

This quaint and cozy European restaurant with its historic old-world charm and décor is the real deal! The cafe is quaint and picturesque, even though it was filled with many customers. The walls of the cafe are adorned with beautiful paintings and artefacts of mainland Europe and large French styled large glass Windows throughout the café’s décor, giving it a charmingly old-World feel. Loved the red bricked walls that made it look like a European Colonial café.

This little known restaurant is increasingly getting popular and is tucked away in front of Kamla Nehru College and one can not only enjoy a very intimate and Romantic evening with a loved one, but also a chilled out evening with friends. The cafe has seating both indoor/outdoor. The Al-Fresco seating on the ground floor and the Ist floor is beautiful surrounded by greens, flower pots and lovely flowers, I felt as though it was spring. Everything around was fantastically beautiful. 

The place is huge, spread across two floors and they have a display cabinet for their desserts and breads too. The Place was fairly busy considering it was a Thursday afternoon. Ensure to book a table because it could get busy. 

It is not the cheapest restaurant but the food is really exceptional. Flavoursome, authentic European fare with good service and reasonable prices. This cafe is next to a long-time survivor Mithas but nonetheless provides a great dining experience. Generally Italian inspired variety. Quality of the food is high regardless of selection. It has all the ingredients - Great location and atmosphere especially patio seating in nice weather. Totally loved the ambiance. This cafe definitely makes you feel like you are enjoying a meal in Europe in a Tuscan Villa with red bricked exteriors and painted walls. The ambiance is really what makes the experience greater. 

The food is authentic and fabulous. The menu had a lot of options and being that I like European food I understood the menu. They have a breakfast/lunch/dinner menus on display. Whatever the menu has people, I say if you are confused what you want to try, I'd say "give it a shot". Go order and you would be pleasantly surprised. Food is oh so fabulous and flavoursome.

They are very friendly people who obviously pride themselves on providing food and service that exceeds expectations. Service is superb too just like the food, considering that it can get really busy sometimes. The wait staff is sweet and very attentive.

The basket of warm, fresh bread is a great start to the meal! I have a "thing" about restaurant bread; so I was obviously about to form my Ist opinion based on what bread they serve me. If it's obviously a day-old (which one can easily make out) or otherwise mundane usual variety, I am immediately doubtful of the quality of the rest of the meal. Not the case here, the bread basket was full of good quality rolls and dark bread and the wait staff was more than happy to replenish it on request. 

So coming down to Food, this is what me and my friends enjoyed.

Soup of the Day - Cream of Peas - Mildly pea flavoured hot refreshing soup served with fresh bread made my day. My rating 4/5

Diggin Special Salad -It had Apples and roasted beetroot dressed up tith honey chilli and mint vinaigrette and topped with feta. What a healthy way to start the meal. Loved the honey chilly minty dressing and the apples tasted yumm. My rating 4/5

Crispy Zuccini Fries - I could never imagine Zuccini Fries could taste so yum and they were served with lemon and garlic aioli and they tasted super yum. A must have at Diggin. My rating 4.5/5

Penne Arrabbiata -  This cheezy tomatoey superb basil flavoured Penne was superbly done. It was a beautiful dish which tasted even better than it looked. My rating 5/5.

Diggin's Signature Ravioli - Home made ravioli stuffed with spinach, brocolli and Ricotta cheese coated in tomatoey Arranniata sauce served with a sprig of celery on top was a perfect picture on my plate and the dish of the day for me. Loved it beyond words and it swept me off my feet. A fantastic dish. My rating 4.5/5

Pizza - They did a nice half in half pesto pepper topping Pizza and a Mushroom and Feta. The base was fresh and the toppings and cheese was superb in quality. Loved the Pizza. My rating 4.5/5

Blueberry Smoothie - Super. My rating 4/5

Strawberry cheese cake shake - Nice and spot on cheese cake flavour . My rating 3.5/5

Ginger Mojito - Nice and refreshing. My rating - 4/5

Citrus Chicken Burger - The Chicken Patty was soft and juicy, but could be more flavourful. And the bun could be better. Nevertheless it was good. My rating 3.5/5

Pan seared Fresh Fish - Awesome River sole complemented with a tangy lime sauce served with a side of green beans, fennel, almonds and citrus orange salad. This dish was "spot on" on taste and flavour. The sauce was fabulous. Loved the fish which was cooked to perfection. My rating 4.75/5

Oreo Brownie Cheese Cake - Ah! Wow! I have no words. It was one fantastic dessert. An absolute must have. My rating - 4.5/5


Coffee Creme Brulee - I am not a coffee person but nevertheless lovedd the beautiful way it was presented. Had a subtle nice cappuccino flavour and loved the presentation. My rating 3.5/5

© http://whatsamsaysabout.blogspot.in/



































































2 comments: