Translate

Sunday 12 October 2014

Cafe Out of the Box - A Cafe not with a difference anymore- 3/5




The name of the place is so apt, it did attempt something un conventional when it was launched. I am rating it 3 purely on the basis of food, because the service staff is very snooty, very lousy, very arrogant, and the food is still good, but it used to be better.

I was here last night and I went straight to the top floor, noone attended us or bothered to get us seated, as if we weren't matching the standards of the place. Finally the manager came to us and made us sit on moodas near to huge corona (beer) card board boxes. After 10 minutes someone bothered to hand over the menu to us. And it was only 7.45 and there were no seats? they have kept a few tables reserved. Wonder if they actually had genuine reservations. The ambience is decent, but the view is great only on 3rd n 4th floors.

It simply shook me and I rushed to a waiter to ask if seating was available on 3rd or 2nd floor, he simply shooed me away rudely and said I dont know. I myself went doen the stairs and managed to find a corner table on the 2nd floor. It just killed my motivation as I just wanted to sit and enjoy the view of the lake, which I obviously couldnt. Nevertheless the server downstairs was a north eastern guy, very sweet. We ordered drinks and food finally after wasting half and hour.

I love the genere free bias on playing great music and serving some decent food with skimpy portions (you would have loved the portion size a year ago) and sadly only the 3rd and 4th floor have a great view of the Hauz khas lake and the fort.The bar menu ranges From Mojitos, Margaritas to LITs, and no wonder their cocktails are fast movers. The best part is that they have happy hours until 9pm. SO I had a tom collins which was below average and a cosmopolitan, which btw was good. We ordered fish tacos which I strongly recommend. and Chicken cheese nachos (sorry no chicken and no cheese actually on them) which you can skip and chicken dimsums (I was shocked to see ony 4 dimsums for such a price) even though they tasted good. We also ordered som tam (papaya salad) which was rocking and chicken burrito (which was killer, I mean superb). It just makes me sad that I did not come with a prior reservation. I also tried the red wine Sangria which was sadly just average. I loved the Chicken Teriyaki tender juicy and succulent. The Mezze platter was just ok with pita, falafel and hummus. And lastly we tried the Veg Enchilada - PEOPLE WHERE IS THE CHEESE?? I think they forgot to put the cheese on top. Even though it tasted great but without melting cheese on top, it was sad! The orders came in real slow, portions have shrunk and the servers were confused, I wonder why? 

I used to love OTB once upon a time, and that was only a year ago by the way. Wonder what happened? Did the management become too involved in its newest breed of restaurants that it forgot the flagship ones. 

All in all a decent place (which used to be great, by the way) with decent food and very sad service. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment