Translate

Thursday 6 November 2014

Olive Bar & Kitchen's Chef Sujan Sarkar announces this season's Winter Menu - 4.5/5



Its that time of the year when one can enjoy the weather outdoors and soak oneself in the winter sun sipping some grey-goose Martini’s while enjoying Chef Sujan Sarkar’s Wondrous Winter menu creations. With an ambiance, location and setting like Olive, and to top it all – a talented Chef like Chef Sujan, you ought to get it right every time. I have lost count of the number of memorable evenings I have had at the Olive Bar & kitchen over the last few years, and yet the place never fails to impress me every time I dine here. And every visit just makes me fall in love more and more with the place, and that itch in me to come back starts even before I have left.

I am a big fan of alfresco courtyard dining and let me tell you that for me Olive Bar and Kitchen is like a Fairy tale affair. With bright white subtle interiors, pebbled courtyard dining, soft melodious music, romance in the air, Olive just lights up your soul and delights your taste buds. Chef Sujan having worked with the likes of well known London establishments as Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen, Galvin at Windows, and the Almada restaurant and bar – it does set the bar too high and you come loaded with expectations. And he not only impresses you but he also exceeds your expectations every time you dine at the Olive. Trust me when I say this, it only gets better each time. And last Sunday evening was no exception, we landed at the Olive and were seated by the ever polite service staff in candle light, re-igniting the spark of the romantic in us. A romantic who otherwise gets lost in the hustle bustle of this crazy city we call Delhi. As soon as I was  handed Chef Sujan’s Winter menu, I knew I had another winning combination of ingredients in my hands.

And there he walks into the restaurant, the man himself - Chef Sujan. He talks about his inspirations while planning this menu and explains each dish with such intricate detail that you are simply charmed by the confidence that reflects in the description of his dishes. And as every dish of every course arrives on your table, you wish that your entire life would circle around that beautiful plate and you feel as though chef has brought those ingredients to life. All the ingredients blend so well with each other and make each dish completely unique in taste and flavour. Each dish is beautifully presented and all accompaniments truly complement the main ingredient in each dish. What I particularly loved about Chef Sujan’s winter menu is that he has paid equal attention in planning both the vegetarian and the non vegetarian dishes in the menu. And even though I am a hard core non vegetarian, I was blown away and floored equally by each vegetarian dish as I was by each non vegetarian delight. And as the cold wave sets in, the menu seems the perfect celebration and a welcoming entry into the winter season. Sam says this winter will be incomplete without a taste of Chef Sujan’s Winter menu creations.

It is indeed a delightful experience and a treat to ones taste buds having any of Chef Sujan’s creations. This is what we had this Sunday evening.


  • We started with the Andaman Tuna with Carpaccio, pickled turnip, quail eggs, french beans on a braised onion tart with artichoke and green apple puree. This has got to be one of the most blissful tuna creations I have ever had. The presentation, ah! what a pretty picture on a plate. And taste - par excellence. 4/5. 


Enjoy the pics of the Andaman Tuna.....................















  • Pear Flower - Grey Goose Martini with Grey goose la poire, fresh pear and lime juice was refreshing. The acidity of the lime juice gave it the right zing to lift ones spirit. Must have at Olive - 4/5







  • Melting Camembert - loved the molten Camembert with wild mushrooms cooked with thyme and garlic and the puffed wheat toast served with the Camembert made the dish sinfully seductive. The 3 ingredients were playing a ménage à trois in my mouth. Chef Sarkar - Bliss yet again. My rating 5/5


















  • Beetroot (veg) - The marriage of beetroot with Carpaccio sandwich, cream cheese, with orange, artichoke, pine nuts, and a drizzle of mint dressing on top made it a super star vegetarian dish for me the colourful ingredients was quite a sight and the way the chef had beautifully laid the mixture of the nuts and orange tit bits on the edge of the plate was phenomenally beautiful. The taste again was out of this world. My rating 4/5








  • Confit Chicken - Chicken wings and potato espuma with charred corn and paprika dust was heavenly delightfully amazingly yummm. Sorry but I am forced to say that it was fantastic. The chicken was juicy and the other ingredients just made this dish a perfect warm wintery dish for me. My rating 5/5







  • Oysters with spinach, cheese and paprika - My first time having an oyster and I was impressed beyond words. This has got be the greatest foodgasm any dish has ever done to my palate. So cheesy so gooey and so delightfully subtle in flavour. The presentation was mind blowing. Served on a bed of rock salt and common salt , I felt as though I was on a beach in Andaman savouring this delicacy. Full marks Chef Sujan. 5/5












  • Lemon Sorbet - What a perfect palate cleanser. Great punch because of the lemon. loved it. 4/5









  • Chilean Seabass - The undisputed king of the evening. The honey mustard complemented the seabass really really well. The caramalized brussel sprout sucotash, sunchoke puree and fennel with a heavenly mash made this dish so seductive that one surrendered to its magic. This has to be one the most magical seabass dish I have ever tasted. Definitely the dish of the day for me - 5/5








  • Zucchini Gnocchi - The pan seared gnocchi with minty zucchini, green beans on a bed of pea puree with blue cheese emulsion and garnished with toasted almonds was the sight of perfection on a plate. The ingredients blended so well with each other and enhanced the gnocchi to another level. A wow dish for me. 4/5






  • Loved the inhouse sour dough bread served with classic salsa. particularly loved the way salsa was served with the mortar pestal










  • Pressure grilled lavender scented Muscovy duck breast. The duck breast with potato fondant was nothing short of perfection on a plate. The juicy succulent duck simply melted in my mouth. Loved it. My rating 4/5








  • Irish Angus Sirloin - Cooked to perfection and rosted with herb butter and served with a horseradish mash and a truffle jus. I love my meat and love it with mash, and the horseradish flavoured mash give it that extra punch, that extra kick and the dish was enough for you to get mesmerized. My rating 4/5







The mushroom Risotto served with the Sirloin was phenomenal. Complemented the sirloin really well. my rating - 4/5











  •  Pesto fettuccine - Another vegetarian marvel by Chef Sujan. So far one of the best fettuccine I have ever had. And pesto happens to be my favourite sauce, which made this dish extra special for me. My rating 4/5






  • Braised Belgium pork belly - The pork belly was served with pulled pork croquette, which was sensational. The vanilla mash, and apricot Piccalilli went superbly well with the pork belly. Loved it 4/5  









  • Vanilla Poached Pear - The poached pear served with creme caramel and caramel popcorn consomme was bliss on my plate and the Chia seed and hazelnut cracker made this dish taste even more spectacular. My rating 4.5/5








  • Valrhona Chocolate Fondant - The gooey molten fondant served with a home made vanilla gelato has to be the show shopper. The fondant was gooey to perfection. Chef full marks. Loved each sinful bite of the chocolate fondant. My rating - 4/5







  • Tarte Tatin aux Peaches - The peach upside down tart with ice cream on top was like full moon on a starry night. Loved every bite. My rating 4/5 







Chef Sujan, this has to be by far one of your most amazing menu creations. I will be back to sit out on the sun and sip my grey goose vodka with some Confit chicken very soon. 

Friends, come experience the unique taste and flavor of Chef Sarkar's Culinary skills here at the Olive Bar and Kitchen. Come and experience bliss and you would know what soul food is all about.







No comments:

Post a Comment