Translate

Thursday 11 December 2014

Ahoy! Asia - GK-2 - A tribute to my favourite Asian Restaurant that was shut some months ago


This is my tribute to my favourite Asian Restaurant that was shut some months ago, and it breaks my heart when I am sharing this review. I wish you could really taste the goodness of their Food. I hear they have one outlet which is alive in Kolkata. If you happen to visit Kolkata do visit their outlet there, and you would understand why I love the place

This place I will call treasure Island. Sad that this place got shut sometime back, but this place by far had the best asian food in Delhi. However they also have a branch in Kolkata and if you happen to visit that city you could definitely give this place a try in Kolkata.

Asian food for most of us means going out and eating Chinese. I beg to differ. Ahoy! Asia, in GK-2 M block, redefined my impression of Asian cuisine. I tried it all right from Japanese Sushi to Indonesian satay with peanut sauce, Vietnamese Burgers and Burmese Khao Suey. Simply loved them all. 

Great colourful place. Great ambience, nice detailing in cutlery and crockery the colourful glasses and bottles complement an already colourful décor. Fantastic cocktails, plush ambience, spot on service and mesmerizing food, this place has it all. 

We started with a Singapore sling and a refreshing Ginger Cola. Both were refreshing and excellent, nicely garnished with orange wedges and thankfully did not have an ice overload. Then arrived the Sushi. Oh my God! I have only had great Sushi at a Zomato foodie meet at B Bar but this was great too. I was a little hesitant about trying raw fish since it usually stinks but this sushi had rice cakes, caviar, batons of veggies, and accompanied by ginger and wasabi which made my Sushi experience amazing. 

Then came the Indonesian Tenderloin Satay with peanut sauce. Very juicy and succulent and greatly marinated in some Asian spices this tenderloin satay was unlike what I had imagined them to be. The peanut sauce truly complemented the satay. Great flavour. I am sure most of you would have tried the Indonesean Nasi Goreng and had the Satay and peanut sauce that accompanies it. This satay was quite authentic and I just loved it. 

Then came the Vietnamese Xinjiang Lamb Burger filled with cheese and pickle with chilli fries and coleslaw. The Burger was so soft, the lamb cutlet so juicy, a great burger I have had in a long time. I and a foodie friend were recently talking to each other and wanting to have a nice burger somewhere in the city. My dear friend, this is it. This burger is what I had been looking for. I loved it, my search ends here. 

After the Burger came the Burmese Khao Suey, For those who are not familiar with Burmese cuisine, Khaosuey is a noodle soup which is flavoured with coconut milk and served with 6 elements - chilli flakes, burnt garlic, fried onions, coriander, roasted peanuts and Lemon. The Khao suey is served on fire and you can serve it hot right from the fire to your bowl on the table. It is quite a glamourous dish and the chicken in it was so soft and the flavour of coconut milk just made the dish even greater. The 6 different elements that garnished the khao suey added zing to this dish of the day. This was truly the dish of the day for me. 

Finally it was time for dessert and the desserts name was influenced by a Chinese influence - the great wall of China. The dish was called The great wall of Chocolate. It was simple no frills attached chocolate truffle cake with choco chips on top served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The truffle was so soft and mushy and Gooey, that it melted my heart. And the Vanilla icecream enhanced the taste of the truffle even more. 


I have been to most Asian cuisine places in Delhi which are quite famous like Golden dragon, Bercos, Mainland china, Lotus Garden or the infamous Yo china, but Ahoy Asia really impresses you and has what these places don't have great ambience, great food and great service. Food is worth every dime you spend here. 

Final verdict - 

Singapore Sling - 4.5/5
Ginger Cola - 4.5/5
Sushi-4/5
Tenderloin Satay - 4.5/5
Xinjiang Lamb Burger - 4/5
Khao Suey - 5/5
The great wall of chocolate- 4.5/5

© http://whatsamsaysabout.blogspot.in/












































No comments:

Post a Comment