Translate

Thursday 11 December 2014

Amreli, Hotel Diplomat - Fine Dining Re-defined - 4/5



Amreli, at the Hotel  Diplomat is a new addition to the niche classy yet comfy fine dine  restaurants in the capital city of New Delhi. Even though Amreli had big shoes to fill, considering that it replaced the legendary Olive beach, Amreli by far is doing full justice to the mark that the Predecessor has left on the palates of Delhiites. The place has become one of my favourite spots in the city offering great, flavourful food and a very cozy setting. This place is just plain amazing! It's the perfect spot for hosting Sunday brunches while soaking in the winter Sun, or spending a romantic evening with your loved one over a glass of champagne or an afternoon Sangria Party with your girlfriends or even a plain and simple evening out with your buddies. Amreli is perfect for all seasons, all occasions and all the reasons.

Amreli enjoys a prime location and a perfect setting and is something that I would call a hidden gem tucked away in the lush diplomatic neighbourhood. The ambiance is quite striking with round mirrors at the entrance and beautiful paintings inside the restaurant giving it a very European Diner feel. There is al-fresco seating as well as seating inside the restaurant and a separate Bar area with comfortable seating. I loved the chessboard style flooring and the very Royal Heritage feel about the place on the whole.

The menu is a piece of art designed by the Master-chef himself – The Chef “Sabyasachi Gorai”or Chef Saby as he is popularly known. His style of cooking is very contemporary and unconventional, yet very straight from the heart and impressive. With yet another young and very talented Chef like Amit Naithani, associated with Amreli this place is definitely up for carving a niche for itself

They have a great breakfast menu with classics like the Eggs Benedict to great selections from the coastal cuisine of India – the great Kerela Stews and the moilee and even the Malabari curry or even fantastic innovations of Chef Saby himself like the Filo Wrapped Raan with a chipotle sauce and other Popular European and Indian Favourites. The menu is very crisp yet interesting and with Chef Saby’s midas touch it’s a clear winner. Portions are great and the dishes are priced well. And most importantly the food tastes phenomenal. The crockery is Khurja porcelain in great colours and they Complement the food really well.

The service is spotless. I visited on a busy Sunday afternoon, of course with a prior reservation but I wasn't disappointed with the service even though it was a busy afternoon. The wait staff is very friendly, courteous, and appear when you need them - always a nice touch in a restaurant one has high expectations from. They seated us, brought us the menus, recommended what we must order since it was our first time (and I am glad they picked out the best dishes for us) and the orders arrived well on time – Everything went on so seamlessly, I was  really really impressed. And let me tell you, I am very hard to please.

What I loved the most was the way bill was presented. Now I have seen real unique ways restaurants present bills today whether its Farzi café or its Sodabottleopenerwala, but I was blown away by Amreli’s way of presenting the bill. The bill arrived in a cutting Chai glass stand with 6 glasses containing 6 different items – Home made Peanut Gajjak, cute miniature Coconut Ladoo’s, toothpicks, chocolate sauce coated chocos, white chocolate sauce coated choco’s and the bill in the 6th one. Truly unique and very very cute. The coconut Ladoos were Phenomenal by the way.

So coming down to taste, this is what we had.

Ø  Tandoori aaloo Bravas – Love the Tandoori Masala flavours of the potato blending with the sauce on top. This yumm bravas sauce takes potatoes to another level. Its the Chef's great take on the Spanish original. My rating 3.5/5

Ø  Crispy filo wrap raan  with a chipotle sauce- I dont know where do I begin. After I had the Ist bite, I felt as though I had died and I was in heaven. Raan so soft, so tender and the thin flaky pastry on top, what a fantabulous creation. Mushy and Phenomenal. Hats off Chef's. My rating 5/5

Ø  Masala Fish Tikka– Loved the Presentation of this dish and with a dash of lemon juice on top the taste of the fish was divine. Loved the Chutney. My rating 3.5/5

Ø  Spinach & Philadelphia Ravioli – Spinach stuffed cheezy tomatoey Ravioli with a drizzle of pesto on Top- Stunning and "The" best in Delhi. The only ravioli I have liked anywhere in Delhi. The flavour and aroma of fresh Basil in the Ravioli drove me crazy and I was drooling. My rating 5/5

Ø  Kerala Mutton Stew- Yes I have been to Kerala, but haven't have a mutton stew better than this. The meat was soft and succulent and pink. I would have have seriously kissed the chef who made it. The hint of coconut flavour in the gravy was so subtle, so mild - it was just plain heaven in that serving dish. Bravo, yet again Chef's, I want to steal this recipe. Brilliant stuff. My rating 5/5 

Ø  Malabari Prawn Curry- For me Prawn in a coconut gravy can never go wrong and this curry tasted brilliant with the Malabari Paratha. My rating 4/5

Ø  Appam and Malabari Paratha- Loved Chef Saby's twist of the sprinkle of the gunpowder on top of the Appam. Brilliantly complemented the gravies 5/5

Ø  Crème Brulee- Seemed like an artists painting on my plate. The crust on top - Luscious and the taste- I got one word full of pleasure for it- voluptuous- My rating 5/5

Ø  Chocolate Fondant with home made Ice Cream – Ah! the feeling of watching the molten chocolate ooze from the fondant. Bliss! The Fondant with the ice cream was stunning as expected. My rating 4/5

Come home to food at its best in the best ambiance. Come dine at  Amreli, Hotel Diplomat, you would know what I mean. Come & experience the magic of Chef Saby's and Chef Naithani's culinary creations for yourself. And I am coming back again soon for the heavenly stew, the brilliant Ravioli and the stunning Creme Brulee. My only regret being that I was so full, I did not get a chance to try the much talked about Fish Moilee. Well that gives me a reason to go back. And Thank God for that. 
















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment