Translate

Wednesday 22 July 2015

Glass House - Hilton Garden Inn- Kerala Food Festival - 4.5/5

Yesterday, I had one of my best Indian meals in Gurgaon after a long long time. It was date night and me and my husband sneaked out to Hilton Garden Inn at Baani Square and visited Glass House- their World Cuisine Restaurant only to realize that the hotel is hosting a Kerala Food Festival . We were pleasantly surprised because ever since we had visited Kerala in 2010, we have been huge fans of this great regional cuisine. We loved the use of spices in the dishes from the land of spices.

Hilton Garden inn has been a landmark property in Gurgaon and I have already experienced great delights from their pastry shop, however never had an opportunity to experience a meal here. And I am glad last night I chose to visit Glass house. I loved the ambiance of the place. Since the Food festival is on I loved how they had decorated the place in Traditional Malyalee style with the hostess and wait staff dressed in traditional attire. I loved how they had placed a wooden boat at the entrance with a pile of banana’s and coconuts. I felt as though I was transported in time to Kerala.

For the festival the hotel has specially flown in Chef Ashok Eapen who is an expert in this regional cuisine and also happens to be the executive Chef of Hilton Garden Inn, Trivandrum. We were lucky enough to catch Chef Ashok in action before the festival ends on 30th July. I hear that they are also holding a live cooking demo on 25th July with Chef Ashok, well that will be something to watch.

Chef Ashok has planned a great menu and handpicked various traditional recipes across the region and across religious influences in this region including the Syrian Christian, Muslim and Hindu specialties. I was impressed to see a wide variety of authentic dishes from Kerala and I was informed that the menu changes every 4 days and is a dinner buffet.

The Buffet spread is pretty mighty, more than you can fathom actually. At a price of 1495++, it’s the best in its class offered anywhere in the city. I loved how they had live kallappam  and pasta stations. The salad bar and the dessert bar had a lavish spread as well. Besides the north Indian and International cuisine specialties in the buffet, I tried to keep my focus on the Kerala specialties, however hard that was. I was floored by the Malabar Fish, the mutton stew and the crab curry. All 3 were simply outstanding and lip smacking. I loved how the chef had prepared various unique varieties of pickles including prawn pickle and lemon pickles.  

The service is top notch, the service staff is attentive and always on their toes to help you on anything. The Chef – Ashok visited our table himself, and told us about how and why he selected the particular dishes in the menu. He also told us about the use of certain spices in the dishes. He mentioned that he prepared some dishes just as they were prepared in their traditional form with whole spices rather than powdered ones and how this enhanced and lifted the flavours of those dishes. He ensured to put the parippus and the payasam and signature sea food in the menu. He also told us that he ensured that he flew in all the traditional spices from Kerala so that the taste of the dishes is not altered by the use of local spices from Delhi. 

And, man I am impressed with the taste of all dishes from the Kerala Food festival menu. I adored the tender juicy succulent brown Mutton Stew which just tasted divine. Loved the chicken and Idli starters Chef has included in the menu. I must tell you that the Malabar Fish was more than outstanding. I have never had a fish dish so sensational. It will rock your palate, body and soul. It is one rockstar of a dish. One can taste every masala that has gone in the preparation of this dish. 

Ah! the Crab. A Crab so meaty, that you won't believe it exists. This has to be Chef Ahosk's best creation in this menu. I loved how spicy the gravy was and how he had used mashed crab meat in the gravy, making this one hell of a meaty dish. 

The vegetarian dishes were superb too. Loved the fried Idli starter. Also loved the Parippu and the dry Colacassia dish which was simply rocking.

Amongst the desserts I loved the coconut mousse, so delicate in flavour, it was superbly creamy. I loved the Sego Payasam flavoured with palm sugar. A very different version of the usual Kerala Payasam. 

Guys, only a few days left for the festival, so dont miss it. Catch Chef Ashok in action. One festival of good soul food you cannot afford to miss.

© Follow Sam on Instagram - Search for sgkatoch
© http://whatsamsaysabout.blogspot.in/
© What Sam says about________ ?
© https://www.facebook.com/whatsamsaysabout
© www.zomato.com/shambavi

The assorted Pickles

The Mulagapodi Idli

The Chicken Tikka

The Ethnic Chicken Fry

Brown Mutton Stew

The Malabar Fish Masala

The Crab Ularthiyathu

The Vegetable Mappas

The Colocassia Dish - Podithuval

The Mango Pachadi

The Pazham Nirachatu

The coconut mousse

The Wheat and Sago Payasam


The chocolate mousse




The Blueberry Frangipane














No comments:

Post a Comment