Translate

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Sam reviews Farzi Cafe - Where Food is both an Art and science - 4.5/5


Farzi – An interesting name I thought, and I was super duper excited to visit this café. Farzi in this context means creating an illusion. And yes this restaurant is a fairy tale romantic affair, right from entering the restaurant, to the cutlery, to the crockery, to the artifacts, to the personalized service and of course to the food. If you have read the fairy tale Thumbelina, you would know how amazed and blank I went in awe and astonishment when I saw the chef’s beautifully carved creations on my table right there in front of me.

Located at the Lobby level just next to Café Delhi heights in DLF Cyber hub, this second successful restaurant launch in Cyber hub by restaurateur and son of the Legendary Jiggs Kalra- Mr Zorawar Kalra is all set to create new benchmarks and sweep every competitor off their feet in the food world. Farzi is not a restaurant where you go to eat food, it’s a place where you go and experience gastronomy at its best. Plush wooden interiors, mega crystal chandeliers, longest bar counter, most comfortable seating, unique way of serving all dishes whether it is in a jewellery box, or a telephone booth or a type writer and an excellent spotless service staff make this experience even better and more memorable. The place is simply huge and the ambiance gives you a warm feeling as soon as you enter. For a Tapas restaurant, it is a dream come true for foodies like me. Farzi for me is modern, contemporary fusion food.

Me and my friend were out for a girls day out and what perfect place to treat ourselves with the most amazing food creations of Chef Himanshu and Saurabh. Guys, I want to complement you for creating the menu with a difference. All the ingredients used by you in all dishes are so distinct and blend so well with each other to make one complete dish, what it is and every dish is simply phenomenal. One would think that this creativeness of the chefs come’s with age. Nah! Both these chef’s are young and dynamic and bring with them rich industry experience of working with some of the most well known Chef’s and world class restaurants. Didyou know that both of them were in the creative team behind the award winning and very well known Masala Library of Mumbai? Even I didn’t know that.

Both the Chef’s and Farzi Café on the whole made me believe that Food is not only an art, but it is also a science. You would think why do I say so? It’s because I proclaim both these Chefs as artists and declare their food to be the most artistic creation any chef can ever fathom. And Science because of the various cooking ingredients and cooking techniques used. I am amazed to see the Nagpur orange with a Kafir lime foamy frothy aire creation to the most exotic and glamorous dessert ever – Firni Oxide brought by the Chef himself with liquid nitrogen on top and the dish giving out a  foggy sensation and filling the spectators with amazement.

Farzi café is about instilling glamour to simple ingredients and pumping up the simple things in life what we all call soul food. Be it daal chawal and making it into Arancini or a simple 10 Rupee Maggi and pumping it up to a Posh Maggi with Duck liver as Foie gras. What makes the food and service even more unique and interesting is the way that the food is served – like they serve their Paan in a book shaped case, or the burgers in a jewellery box or using the typewriter for presenting the bill, it cant get more unique and different than this. Farzi café is a gastronomic discovery, a change from the usual Dal roti, butter chicken, pizza- pasta herd of restaurants mushrooming as we speak.

Farzi is also expecting a liquor license any day and will be what we will call a MOLECULAR BAR. Ha! Ha! I know for most of you this concept may be alien, just like it was to me before I visited Farzi. Well, I am eagerly awaiting their bar license too and dying to taste the molecular cocktails and mocktails sitting on Delhi’s longest Bar counter. Farzi is going to have one of a kind Jelly based semi liquid cocktails and there is going to be a lot of soda pumping, and alcohol infused Daruwala fruits. Oh god! Please have the licence done sooner, and in the meantime I had to satisfy myself with a virgin Apple Foamantini which was divine as well. Waiting for this to be transformed into a green apple Martini.

So without much a do, let me tell you guys about the great food me and my friend hogged.

Ø  Mishti Doi Shots – The meal began with a foggy mishti soi shots on a bed of smoky liquid nitrogen topped with strawberry puree. My god!the beginning of the meal was so gripping, so glamourous, I felt I was in the cast and crew of Die Hard series. With liquid nitrogen creating the smoky effect this dish simply transports you to wonderland. Loved the bollywood special effects this dish created. My rating – 5/5


Ø  Farzi Ok – Was the drink we ordered. Infused with Orange juice this tangy drink, re-energizes your senses and is a great pick me up. Loved the tumbler that was used to serve it. My rating – 5/5

Ø  Karela Calamari – OMG! I am a Calamari fan and this twist to the Calamari was astonishing beyond words. I couldn’t believe my ears when the server recommended we try the Karela Calamari. It was crisp, was shaped like fried Calamari, obviously and for a vegetarian dish made of bitter gourd it couldn’t get any better. Three cheers chef’s - My rating – 4.5/5

Ø  Braised Lamb Chops- The meat was so so so tender and juicy that it just fell off the bone. These have to be the meatiest, juiciest lamb chops I have ever had in my entire life and the fact that the chops are coated in Maple soy and whiskey sour cream makes you wanna go and hug the chefs hard - My rating – 5/5

Ø  Chilli Pork Ribs- They are marinated with a Kashmiri Rista reduction, and this was the dish of the day for me. I have never had such a juicy and tender piece of ribs ever. The marinade was great and the fact that the meat fell off the bone, as I was trying to eat it with a knife and fork, made my day; even though I was so tempted to use my hands, and make this messy and enjoy it even more. But full marks chefs for this unique dish - My rating –5/5

Ø  Sarson ki Galauti – Trust me was equally good and even better than a usual mutton galauti. Its presentation was super- so International and so upclass. My rating – 4.5/5

Ø  Dal Chawal Arancini – Now this has gotta be the most creative dish of the restaurant and Chef Saurabh told me he calls this their most unique dish. Can you imagine making balls of dal chawal and coating it with papad bits and crumbs and frying it and topping it with APC – Achar, Papad  & chutney. These balls look like 2 big pieces of yellow Sapphire on a platter. By far the most creative fusion dish I have ever come across My rating – 5/5

Ø  Chicken 65 Lollypop- Juiciest chicken Lollypops God has ever created. My rating – 5/5

Ø  Tempura fried Prawn Bhaja – Ah Wow! I am so a prawn person and the topping of Nimboo mirch air on top of the prawn really sweept me off my feet. What a superb presentation and the platter on which this was served was so classy. And coming to the taste. Loved the sauce coating the prawns and the nimboo mirch air really enhanced the taste of this dish - My rating – 5/5

Ø  Hajmola Palate Cleanser – I have run out of Wow’s in my kitty that I have used to describe the dishes at the café. I couldn’t imagine in my wildest dreams that there could exist a Hajmola flavor dish topped with saunth. The way it was served in a log vessel which looked like a tree with the Hajmola candies in its branches, I was simply blown away. My rating – 5/5

Ø  Green Apple Foamintini – This unique creative dish with egg yolk, cream, mint and lime juice syrup is fantastic and has great eye appeal and is a great concept. Waiting till the time this drink is transformed into green apple Martini. My rating – 5/5

Ø  Chorizo Pulao – I am a huge fan of Chorizo, and the fact that there was a Chiorizo pulao, really impressed me. Loved the generous helpings of Chorizo in the pulao. Chef, wonderous creation. My rating – 5/5

Ø  Pumpkim Khao Suey – I am a big fan of Khao suey. One of my most favourite Asian dishes. And the twist that it was flavoured with pumpkin and the desi accompaniments really pumped up the dish for me. Loved the peanuts and bhujia on top of it, tasted superb - My rating – 4.5/5

Ø  Posh Maggi – Love the way Chefs have glamorized a simple 10 Rupee Maggi and gone with pumping it up to a Posh Maggi with Duck liver as Foie gras. A fusion of such an expensive and inexpensive ingredient at the same time,Super job guys. My rating – 4.5/5

Ø  Tandoori Guchchi risotto – The garnish is parmesan strips which adds the enhanced flavor in the risotto. I am a big fan of Guchchi and using such an expensive and rare ingredient and transforming this in a dish like Italian risotto- Super. Tastes as good as it sounds. My rating –5/5

Ø  Parle G Cheese cake- This is served on a bed of milk custard and chocolate gems and is the most colourful dessert ever. The fact that a 5 Rupee Parle G sandwiches the cheese cake, even the thought of it is fantastic. Super dessert, and even super presentation and eye appeal - My rating – 4/5 (only because I don’t have a sweet tooth and it was a little sweet for me)

Ø  Phirni Oxide – If you read my blog, You will see the video I have uploaded where Chef Saurabh personally served this dish for us on our table. You have to watch the drama, the glamour and the entire show behind putting this dessert up on a guests table. There is frozen custard which is topped with smoky liquid nitrogen and firni and the way the chef breaks the frozen custard, he calls it the Terminator effect and calls this dish which I believe is unlike any dessert I have ever seen in my entire life. A lot of thought and creativity has gone behind the dessert and superb dish Chefs. My rating –5/5

Ø  Nasik Oranges and Kafir lime aire – Oh wow this is what I call in Hindi – Hawa Khana (eating air) and yes this was the least guilty of all items we consumed that afternoon. Loved the foamy frothy Kafir lime aire which was filled inside of Nasik Orange Peels. Loved the zesty and tangy taste of the Kafir Lime aire. My rating – 4.5/5


Ø Cotton candy Pan was sensational, simply a killer - unique concept again, and the way it was served in a book shaped container was so cute - my rating 5/5

My overall rating for the place will still be a 4.5 on 5, because I couldn’t find a single spec of criticism in anything that afternoon. From a great ambience to a great service staff and topping it all with great food, it was a very satisfying afternoon. All I will say to my fellow foodies, you have to be there to experience what Sam experienced. So What Sam says about Farzi Café ______? is only one single word – F for Farzi and F for Fantabulous- An "F" word Sam likes. Must visit. I am already dying to go back. I have adopted  a new religion I call Farziism and I am totally Farzified.

© http://whatsamsaysabout.blogspot.in/

© What Sam says about________ ?
© https://www.facebook.com/whatsamsaysabout
© www.zomato.com/shambavi





















































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment