Translate

Sunday 3 August 2014

What better way to spend summer with Sam than @ Olive Qutub- 4.75/5



Ah! What better way to spend a beautiful summer evening than going off to try the awesome Summer Menu at the Olive Qutub. Overlooking the beautiful monument, the qutub minar this place takes you to a Tuscan Villa setting, revitalizing your taste buds and satiating your soul at the same time.

Ambiance of the Olive Qutub especially in the evenings is romantic beyond comprehension. It re-ignites the spark of the romantic in you, a person who is otherwise lost in the maddening crowd of this mad mad metropolitan city. I love the fact that the entire place has a white setting and has seating both outside and inside, and inside the seating is such that you can have your private moment too while enjoying the fine dine atmosphere of the place. And since the entire city was going gaga over the launch of its new Summer Menu, I decided to pay a visit too, only to fall in love with whatever the world renowned Master Chef Chef Sujan Sarkar had to put in front of me

Chef Sujan S has to be one of God’s most wondrous creations, and he truly has a gift. He has handcrafted the most exquisite menu for you to beat the scorching heat of Delhi. If you have read the famous Shakespearean Sonnet “Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day”, you will agree with Sam because Sam says the menu is as refreshing as this sonnet, and the cozy ambiance of the Olive Qutub simply sweeps you off your feet when you get the most beautiful looking food in your plate and you thank God for life itself.

I know this review comes nearly two weeks after Chef Sujan’s food swept my gut off my feet, but its never too late to appreciate the creativity and hard work of this Chef, who I would rather call a “Food Artist”.

This is what Chef Sujan Handcrafted for us, and I wanted to truly give him a bear hug after my most satisfying meal, as a foodie.

For Drinks we had a Red Wine and a White Wine Sangaria and I can close my eyes and say that so far they were the best I have ever had. Sam's rating - 5/5

Then came the pretty picture on a woden box the Pumpkin crisp with semi dried tomato, goat cheese and the olive dust, which just added more grace to an already picture perfect food item. Sam's rating - 5/5

We started with the Heirloom tomato salad with Burrata Sorbet and fresh basil. Honestly this dish was like a foodgasm in my mouth (pardon my french, please). I had always only imagined one Chef David Rocco making wonders with fresh basil and tomato, and now there was another Chef who had turned my food dreams into reality. I would give Chef sarkar a 5 pointer for this rock on dish. Sam's rating - 5/5

Double baked cheese soufflé served on a bed of artichokes, red pepper jam,rocket and a balsamic reduction- Chef Sarkar, All I can say about this dish is that I regret not having had this melodious dish earlier in my life. The pecan nuts just added the final touches and stole Sam's heart. Sam's rating - 5/5

Spice rubbed tenderloin carpaccio - this was served with horseradish cream, pickeled mustard, rocket and baby radishes and I felt as though I was transported in time to venice and felt as though I was enjoying the carpaccio on a gondola with a glass of Sangaria in my hands. What a fantastic combination of flavours Chef Sarkar. Two thumbs up. Sam's rating - 4/5

The selection of vegetarian starters also deserves a special mention. We had an excuiste blend of Baby gem lettuce skillfully charred on the griddle. What added to the flavour was the smokiness from smoked goat curd blended with pickled palm hearts, baby carrots and other veggies and almonds. What a way to make way for the soup. Sam's rating - 4/5

`Chicken and Mushroom Consomme with Chicken Tortellini was a rockstar of a soup. The pretty Tortellini floating on top of the soup was exquisite, and just melted in my mouth. Sam's rating - 5/5

Post starters we made way for the mains but before that we were served a Palate cleanser. OMG! the hint of sourness in it was simply divine. The perfect sorbet Sam has ever had. Sam's rating - 5/5

Zuccini wrapped steamed reef cod with leek nage potato spaghetti, prawn mousse stuffing, zuccini frites. Whoa! thats a heavy name for the Ist dish in the mains, and yes it was true to its name and it was a heavy duty dish yet it was so simple and delicious and delicate in flavour that one wouldnt even imagine the ingredients if one hadnt read the menu. Potato Spaghetti Chef Sarkar, is definitely one of your best works. I bow to your skills. Sam's rating - 5/5

Bacon wrapped chicken leg with gruyere cheese, barley rissotto, asparagus and green pepper corn jus was another exciting dish for Sam. Loved the Rissotto, truly, madly, deeply. Sam's rating - 5/5

Slow Cooked Belgium Pork belly - This was served with a carrot puree, mustard glaze apple and a crackling on top, and can you believe it, it was made of pig skin. I couldnt either, but it tasted great, nonetheless. The pork belly was so soft, so juicy, so succulent, that my mouth is still watering as I am trying so hard to capture its taste in words. A crackling dish Chef, you again have my 5 pointer, because this was the dish of the day for me. Sam's rating - 5/5

Sirloin Steak with Oxtail ragout, black garlic puree and potato fondant has to be the best steak ever. The only steak I have loved is the one at an Argentenian steak house in Bangkok, but this one came victorious against all odds. I am so for steaks, that I can have one every night for dinner, and the oxtail ragout was a great discovery for my palate, and the streaks of black garlic puree seemed like strings of a guitar and played music in my mouth just like the strings of Santana's guitar. This dish was definitely a gala end to the main course. Sam's rating - 5/5

Mille Feullie of mango, mango sorbet, mango and mascarpone mousse, served with amalgamated flavours of fresh mango sorbet and a mango crisp. The dish was served in a beautiful glass tumbler on a wooden platter. As I opened the tumbler, I was awakened to a whole new definition of flavours that mango can possibly create. The mascapone mousse coupled with the mango sorbet has to be the perfect grand finale to the perfect meal. Sam's rating - 5/5. 

I know I ate a lot, and I dont regret even a single millimeter it may have added to my already haywire waistline. This has to be my most satisfying meal, and Chef Sarkar, you truly lived up to your international name, fame and reputation. I am definitely coming back for this menu every summer weekend. 

Please visit my Blog on FB and like my page - What Sam says about________ ?
Link - https://www.facebook.com/whatsamsaysabout


















































2 comments:

  1. What a well-written, in depth review. I've been to Olive myself recently and loved the experience myself. The Chicken and Mushroom Consomme with Chicken Tortellini Soup is def a must try.

    Cant wait to visit again!

    ReplyDelete